Thursday, June 3, 2010

Change your mind, change your body!

I know I've had a successful session with a client when they leave smiling and sore. And I have just had such as wonderful experience of this I want to share it with you.

My client J hasn't done a session with me in quite a while, so I was delighted when she stopped me in the gym last week and asked for some info on compound resistance training so she could add something new to her workout. I've done quite a bit of compound resistance training in the past with J so I was determined to find something new that would change her emotional state for the workout and give her the lift that she needed.

I was also lucky enough to be at Filex at the end of April where I met Ian O'Dwyer and the new fitness tool (phenomenon) the ViPR. So I decided it was time for J and the ViPR to meet. Talk about a match made in heaven. She smiled at first site and as I instructed her on how to move with it that smile just got broader and broader.

We explored only 3 exercises in our 30 minute session but it was enough to completely refocus her attentions to how her body was moving. Her intensity level rated about 8/10 and J is very fit; and her enjoyment 10/10. It's a great result.

When I asked J what she liked about the session she told me three things:
1. She could feel lots of different muscles working, in fact it felt like her whole body was working at once
2. She really enjoyed it - the focus required to work with the ViPR from an execution and intensity point of view means that you just can't think about anything else - awesome stress relief
3. It was FUN!!!!

This kind of response is every fitness trainers dream - strong workout, focus and fun.

So what happened? J is now armed with a small repertoire of movements to change the way she approaches her gym workouts, and a massively changed state of mind which will change the response of her body.

If you want to change your body be prepared to change your mind, and more importantly your state of mind first. It'll make you smile, it will make you strong, it will enable you to be your best everyday!

No comments:

Post a Comment